Welcome to the Milwaukee 2013 Top 10 Albums of the Year! We are glad you stopped by - whether it be to post your own awesome list of the year's best releases or to browse and see what you might have missed. No matter your reason, we sure hope you'll join us on Sunday, December 29th at 8p for the Official Milwaukee 2013 Top 10 Albums of the Year party at Frank's Power Plant in Bayview. And follow us on twitter at @top10MKE.
If you are here to post, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines. Yeah, yeah, nobody likes rules (they cramp our style, too!) but we want to hear your thoughts on the best of 2013, not 1985 and flight pants. So, without further ado, here are a few suggestions to guide you...
1. Albums of must have a release date between November 1 2012 & January 1 2014 - Always rule #1, and it will be the hardest to follow. Go ahead, complain away that you "haven't even listened to 10 albums this year" and we'll direct you to the other complainers who "can't pick just 10"! Listen, we know you recently discovered how awesome The Rolling Stones "Exile on Main St." is, but doesn't mean it is new music. Sorry. Good sources for verifying album release date: allmusic.comamazon.com& itunes.
2. Every selection should be accompanied with a short yet thoughtful explanation- Sure...it's totally fine to post your list without descriptions... it's also fine for us to assume that you are a robot who has picked your albums solely based on what they scored on Pitchfork or Spin.
3. NO GREATEST HITS ALBUMS!!!- Deal breaker. Just can't do it. There is yet to be a compelling case for why a greatest hits album should count as anything other than a self-indulgent money grab. Exhibit A-'Smashmouth's Greatest Hits': 20 tracks with exactly 3 hits on it....seriously...it's crazy http://www.amazon.com/All-Star-Smash-Hits-Mouth/dp/B000A7DVPE
4. Leaked albums - Now that Spotify has solved the issue of internet piracy this shouldn't be an issue...right? In the event this is not the case...should you hear something that happens to have a release date of 2014 through scrupulous or unscrupulous means...that works....just try not to post it on both your 2013 and 2014 list... cool?
5. Audio & Visual Aids - Album Covers, embedded video, album inspired art....whatever you need to make your point. Links are cool, and a great way for someone to waste an entire afternoon when they should be focusing on their mundane desk job. Help your fellow music fans out and post cool things. Or, if you are like some of us - technologically illiterate - you can make us feel inferior with your savvy mastery of the tubes!
6. Debate is encouraged - This is all about diversity of opinion & it's definitely a good thing to encourage your fellow armchair music snobs with positive comments but you have to admit - a good challenge never goes unanswered. Maybe some of you liked the live telecast of The Sound of Music, others may have rightly hated it, but that's what's great about this country - posting anonymous comments on a blog with no real repercussions. However, if things get out of line we will step in as the Troll Ref. Because this is supposed to be fun, people.
7. Honorable mentions, other lists & music related year end observations extremely encouraged- best shows, most anticipated music for 2014, biggest disappointments, best app, etc etc, etc Other lists and posts are interesting & highly encouraged.
8. PLEASE share this with your music loving friends- Everyone's invited to participate. Everyone's invited to the listening party. (doesn't matter if we know you or not...we want your list....we want you to come to the listening party!) Seriously. Sharing is caring. So is drinking beer and reading other people's lists posted on the wall of Frank's Power Plant on December 29th.
9. In order to be taken seriously your list must be posted in a timely fashion- Good rule of thumb would be to get yours up by the Top Ten Party Dec 29. You're totally free to put it up after that. I'm sure people will pretend they saw it.
10. And finally, "Any fool can make a rule and every fool will mind it!" - Yes...rule #10=forget the rules. I know..you read that whole thing and now it means nothing...don't think of it as wasting your time as much as testing your patience....if you read that whole thing you must be pretty patient....You passed the test!